Karachi and Lahore Numbers Changed 7 to 8 digits, You can test this just simply dialing from your home landline to your mobile number and look at the CLI. The notification was just now shared on the Telecom Grid of Pakistan mailing list
—- NOC -ISLAMABAD — OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION ——
Source : NOC Switching, Islamabad
As per PTA determination PTCL has to migrate from 7 digits telephone
number length to 8 digits in Lahore and Karachi with effect from May
1st 2009. In this regard procedures have been prepared by this office
which is to be carried out by PTCL Business and Switching Core Regions
in the following platforms: –
1. EWSD (NSN) LXs
2. E10-B (APL) LXs
3. AXE-10 (ERICSSON) LXs
4. ZXJ-10 (ZTE) LXs
5. C&C08 PRI Exchanges in Lahore and Karachi.
6. WLL MSCs, HLRs in Karachi, Lahore and Hyderabad.
7. WIN (In SCPs, AAA, DACP and SMP servers).
8. FIN (In SMP, SCP and other related servers).
9. MM&BB servers for Narrowband and Broadband services.
10. VMS Platform.
11. C4 NGN (Huawei)
12. C5 NGN (Huawei).
13. C5 NGN (ZTE). Gulshan-e-Hadeed.
14. All Transits and IGEs.
Following actions must be taken care of before the said
1. The routing of new codes shall be ensured in every DTE/HCTE/CX/SSP/
IGE/POIs. The necessary instructions in this regard has already been
issued last week. Verify gently.
2. Procedures must be read carefully before implementation.
3. For WLL subscribers in Lahore and Karachi simultaneous changes will
be required in WLL MSC, HLR and WIN. Four MSCs i.e. Karachi,
Hyderabad, Cantt Lahore and Edgerton Road Lahore will require
4. The necessary changes in WIN Lahore was a complicated task and Al-
HAMDULLILAH has been acheived with the help of Mr Atiq Mumtaz SE IN
Operations Islamabad. As the said task is complicated therefore it has
been decided by Operations that Mr Atiq Mumtaz shall be present on
site atleast for initial changes which will be carried out in
The said changes in WLL MSC and WIN will start between the night of
April 26th and 27th after 0100 hrs at night. The said changes will be
completed by May 1st 2009. Mr Atiq Mumtaz SE IN Operations shall be
deputed to WIN Lahore on the morning of 26th of April 2009 for the
5. Necessary Back ups shall be prepared in advance so that in case of
any issue the whole database shall be reverted back. However any help
in implementation shall be acquired from the name of rthe persons
mentioned in each procedure.
6. Necessary changes in VMS platform shall be carried out by GM
Switching Core Islamabad as already intimated earlier.
7. Necessary changes in MM&BB shall be carried out by respective GM
MM&BB Operations as already intimated earlier.
8. Changes at FIN will be carried out by IN Operations Islamabad.
9. Changes of the PBX/PRI of the Armed Forces will not be changed
under this implementation.
10. Changes required for existing 8 digits PBX/PRI of Private
Companies will be intimated later on by next Monday by PTA.
11. Changes at C5 Huawei (dEv project) shall be taken care off by GM
(Dev) Switching Islamabad.
12. In OFAN Huawei the change is not required if the L3 adress is not
changed. The same may be confirmed from ZTE OFAN. However its
procedure is attached above.
13. The said changes may please be carried out any time on April 30th
2009 so that parallel run shall start from May 1st 2009.
14. Test calls be made to verify the changes into effect.
15. PRS backend numbers shall be left over as it is.
16. Any other requirement or Deficiency shall be intimated at your
earliest so that the issues can be addressed before implementation.